Wednesday, July 9, 2008

It's sort of dangerous

I've been spending a lot of time with my latest obsession, Facebook. AnonaBaby took a two and a half hour nap today and I spent far too much of it looking up people, taking quizzes and hoping that people would acknowledge my invitations to be friends.

It's weird how much feels at stake. I've looked up many many people who don't appear to be on the site. And I've looked up many others who were. I exhausted their friends, I think I've exhausted mine and I've scraped the bottom of the barrel for folks from high school and old jobs. What I'm left with is that I don't know many people. Not really.

I didn't keep in touch with many people from high school, though my two best friends from then came to my daughter's first birthday party, so you know we're still close. I went to a commuter college and my friends during that time were all from work (I worked at a restaurant and if you've done that you know how tight that bunch can get). It doesn't look like any of those folks are on Facebook. Then I went into my career and... well, I'm not a work friends sort of person, mostly. I was really young when I went into high tech (still in college), and I worked with my father, so after work drinks were right out.

I stayed in high tech for years but cut ties with all that when I got disgusted with the business and switched over to teaching. I have some friends from work, but not a ton, and teachers aren't very tech savvy in general.

Facebook is exciting in that it gives me hope that I will find that one friend, that one person who I lost touch with. Maybe we'll get back in touch and I'll have a new old friend. And that would be lovely, but I don't really think it'll work that way. Not for me. I'm just not the type.

Besides, I can't think of anyone else I'd like to get in touch with. It's sort of a downer. I'm sure the novelty will wear off in a week or so. Sigh

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At July 13, 2008 at 5:21 AM , Blogger Beck said...

Facebook. Eeee. All I do is look up old boyfriends and NEVER EVER add them to my friend list.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home