Monday, June 23, 2008

Each Day Better than the Next

This was rather a tough weekend and I'll admit I'm glad it's over. We had several days in a row of stifling temperatures which resulted in some very frayed nerves around here. AnonaBaby is getting another tooth and it's causing her some righteous indignation. And she has discovered her scream, which has caused us to rethink the necessity of being able to hear.

This scream is... unimaginable. I did not think such a sound could come out of so small an individual. It is piercing. It is so high that the dogs in our neighborhood come out of the woodwork for it (well, they would if we didn't keep the windows closed). And it is LOUD.

And I have no ides how to make her stop it.

Obviously, at a year old, I cannot reason with her. I cannot make her understand that it HURTS when she screams right in my ear. She does not understand cause and effect well enough to make the connection that her scream and my eardrum do not want to be bosom buddies. I can't put my hand over her mouth because... well, why not exactly? It looks all wrong? It's ineffective? I get bitten if I do that?

Yeah. That's the one. She also bites.

Where did my sweet baby girl go? She was apparently kidnapped and replaced with this squirming, biting, screaming, teething disaster area. I know she's biting because her teeth hurt, so I'm giving her stuff to chew on (teething rings, wet washcloths, the cats...) but her favorite thing to chew on is me and I can't say as I appreciate it.

The only thing I've been able to figure out to do with the screaming is put her down, turn around and ignore her. She doesn't like to be ignored, so... it sort of works. Somewhat. As soon as I turn around she screams again so not completely effective. Also it does not work in the car. And the car? Is the worst place that she pulls this screaming thing. Also, public places.

Between the heat and the resulting difficulty with naps such that the child was wildly overtired and uncomfortable, and my being screamed at, bitten and generally clawed all weekend, I was happy as all get out to plop that kid in her crib last night after the world's fastest reading of "Goodnight Moon".

(By the way, does anybody know what the deal is with the page that says, "Goodnight nobody?" It creeps the living hell out of me every time I read it.)

God, I'm all over the place today.

Any suggestions on the biting thing, the screaming thing (God, especially the screaming thing. With the biting I simply remove her from my person and tell her no, biting hurts. I'm still bigger than she is. But the screaming... Lord...) or the mystery of Goodnight nobody would be appreciated. I'm fresh out of ideas.

1 Comments:

At June 25, 2008 at 11:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That "goodnight nobody" page bugs me too. I always replace it with "goodnight ..." and the name of the kid I'm reading to. My kids like that but they do get confused that there is no picture of them in the book!

Good luck with the screaming and biting. Sadly there's no one magic thing I could recommend that will make that go away. It's just one more thing that makes being a mom such a hard job!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home