Monday, June 16, 2008

Summer, Summertime

The last week has been pretty crazy since it was the last week of school. It's always that way. On the surface it seems like it would be pretty easy for teachers, right? Especially teachers at the promoting grades, where the last week is filled with activities and rehearsals and all that stuff.

Well, think again.

Because teachers have to supervise all that stuff. So we're running around like mad, keeping kids from killing each other, slipping off to cause trouble or generally making bad choices. It's not all kids, of course. Not even most. But enough.

So last week was a lot of keeping kids in line, helping them on and off the right buses, etc etc etc. Plus our school is moving for next year so I had to pack up my entire classroom and if you think that was a thrill you can have a long hard think again. Ugh. By Thursday afternoon I was pooped. Friday was officially my first day of summer and I spent it watching the baby and at my surgeon's office. Just a routine checkup of the plate that was placed after I broke my leg last autumn.

On Saturday we went to a family reunion at my aunt's house. It was OK. It was the side of my family that I hardly know at all. I know these people pretty much by name only - they're my paternal grandfather's family and the dominant family for us has always been my paternal grandmother's family. The people at the party were... old. Most of their kids - my second cousins - aren't particularly close so they didn't show up. It was all people in their 50's and 60's, which I know isn't OLD, but it's not my generation and I didn't even know them so it was sort of dull. But my aunt has a pool and my mom and sister were there and we took AnonaBaby swimming so it wasn't a total loss.

On Father's Day we did exactly nothing exciting. Which was what AnonaDad wanted. (He still feels bad about Mother's Day because he got me nothing whatsoever (not by request) and the one thing he'd planned - breakfast - was destroyed by AnonaBaby's absolute refusal to take a nap, even though she was exhausted. Which made for a fun Mother's Day, let me tell you.) I did get him a present, and we watched movies for much of the day and played with the baby and it wasn't a half bad way to spend a Sunday.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At June 16, 2008 at 5:31 PM , Blogger Beck said...

My mom - who is a teacher - has said exactly the same thing. Teaching the final couple of weeks of school is really HARD! The kids are NUTS!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home