Thursday, July 17, 2008

How'd that happen?

We're having our house painted this week. I can't begin to tell you how downright giddy it's making me, despite the fact that the plastic covered windows are giving me mild claustrophobia.

When we bought this house I loathed several fixable things about it. The first thing was the crazy deep pink color scheme that included white and pink tile (with pink grout!) used in the bathrooms, the kitchen, the living room and the entryway. The inside of the front doors, all the door frames and the hall closet were all painted pink too. I actually woke up several times during escrow in a cold sweat, gasping, "Oh my dear Lord, we've bought a pink house!"

It wasn't actually quite as horrific as it sounds on paper. Though all those things were, in fact, pink, a couple of cans of paint and some elbow grease corrected the door issues. And the tile situation was resolved last year when we remodeled the kitchen and replaced all the downstairs tile. Now the only reminders of the previous owner's truly awful taste remain safely hidden in the master bathroom, where we haven't gotten around to remodeling yet. It's on the list.

The second thing I loathed was the color of the exterior paint. It was avocado green with rotten avocado green trim. And it was freshly painted. Despite hating the color, I couldn't bring myself to shell out good money to paint over a new paint job, so I lived with it for 7 years.

This year we've been able to do some pretty big work on the house and get more than half the things done on our "Project: Perfect House" list. Getting the house painted and installing a new roll-up garage door are the finishing touches of about 5 months of estimates, scheduling, contractors and all the general stress that home renovation brings. The new colors are a clean creamy white (called "Muslin" by Kelly Moore, and appropriately so) and a deep sky blue for the trim. I love it. It's almost like having a new house (though not completely. A new house would be tidier than this one...)

When I drove AnonaBaby to my mom's for the day I noticed something very strange about the colors we'd picked to paint the house. I don't know how it happened, but the lovely cream and blue color scheme that I adore so much and lovingly picked for our home?

It's the same as my mom's house.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home